Competitive Scrabble players know that the letter Q is one of the least used letters in the English language. When you’re holding the letter Q many players wait in hopes of also drawing a U. But when a U isn’t available it’s good to learn some words that end in Q that you can play without a U. Listed below are words ending with Q.
Acceptable words within Scrabble play that end in the letter Q
- Suq – Variant of souk; a marketplace in Arab cities.
- Talaq – A method of divorce in Islamic law.
- Tranq – Short for tranquilizer.
- Tsaddiq/tzaddiq – A Hebrew term for a spiritual leader.
- Umiaq – A boat made of stretched animal skins by Inuits.
Abbreviated words not acceptable in Scrabble play that end in the letter Q
- Unq – The abbreviation for unnilquadium.
- .mq – Used in internet addresses to stand for Martinique.
- GHQ – General headquarters.
- CQ – Letters at the beginning of radio transmissions that are intended for all receivers.
Famous people and places are also found with the letter Q as the last letter
- Inupiaq – A group of Eskimos; also the name for their language.
- Mi’kmaq – A variation on Micmac, a group of Native Americans residing primarily in Canadian provinces.
- Zia ul-Haq – A Pakistani president from 1978 until 1988.
The Q ending words are useful for Scrabble, Words With Friends, Literati, Upwords, Boggle or any word game.